According to the supplier, Lex Luthor, the patches work by suppressing Superboy's human DNA for an hour. A shield is activated when Superboy sticks it on his skin. When the hour is up, the shield turns completely black and can be removed. Prolonged use of the shields impacts Superboy's own rage.
Superboy used them to fight the Parasite and Deadshot, and finally exhausted them after the Team was ambushed by Cheshire, Riddler, Mammoth, and Shimmer. His use of the shields in this engagement so clouded his mind that he lost control, and pummeled Mammoth so ferociously that he caused an avalanche that nearly killed Artemis. Luthor had hoped to use the promise of more shields as a method of controlling Superboy, but Conner ultimately rejected the offer, having confessed his shield use to his teammates.
- 122. "Agendas"
- 124. "Performance"
- 125. "Usual Suspects"
- Young Justice #24: "Players, Chapter Five"
- Young Justice #25: "Players, Chapter Six"
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Hopps, Kevin (writer) & Oliva, Jay, Divar, Tim (directors) (April 14, 2012). "Usual Suspects". Young Justice. Season 1. Episode 25. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Hopps, Kevin (writer) & Chang, Michael (director) (March 24, 2012). "Agendas". Young Justice. Season 1. Episode 22. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Weisman, Jon (writer) & Chang, Michael (director) (April 7, 2012). "Performance". Young Justice. Season 1. Episode 24. Cartoon Network.
- ↑ Weisman, Greg (w). Jones, Christopher (a). Atkinson, Zac (col). Abbott, Wes (let). Gaydos, Sarah (ed). "Players, Chapter Five: Milburn, Edgar and Jake" Young Justice 24 (January 23, 2013), New York, NY: DC Comics