Atlanteans are the inhabitants of all city-states of Atlantis.
Atlanteans were forced to adapt to life under the ocean surface when their continent sank. They used sorcery and science to allow for underwater breathing.
Over millennia, inhabitants of each city-state evolved further, with many of them evolving features similar to those of aquatic animals such as fish, cetaceans and squid. Atlanteans refer to themselves as "water-breathers". The variety of the people of Atlantis led to racial tensions between "skin and scales" and "flesh and fins" in the form of the purists, led by Ocean-Master. They considered themselves pure descendants of the original Atlanteans: fully human, without visible fish features. They hoped to cleanse Poseidonis of its diversity.
Apart from the ability to breathe underwater, Atlanteans also have a stronger build, and are generally stronger than humans. Additionally some less humanoid Atlanteans display abilities similar to their aquatic relatives.
Atlanteans speak a language derived from Ancient Greek, over the millennia since Ancient Greek died out.
- Aqualad (Kaldur'ahm)
- Aquaman (Orin), King of Atlantis
- Beluga Boy
- Calvin Durham
- King Sha'ark (Nanaue Sha'ark), King of Nanauve
- Lori Lemaris
- Ocean-Master (Prince Orm)
- Queen Mera
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Weisman, Greg, Kevin Hopps (w). Jones, Christopher (a). Atkinson, Zac (col). Sienty, Dezi (let). Chadwick, Jim (ed). "Under the Surface..." Young Justice 14 (March 21, 2012), New York, NY: DC Comics
- ↑ Hopps, Kevin, Greg Weisman (w). Davis, Dan, Christopher Jones (p). Davis, Dan (i). Atkinson, Zac (col). Sienty, Dezi (let). Chadwick, Jim (ed). "Cold Case" Young Justice 9 (October 19, 2011), New York, NY: DC Comics
- ↑ Weisman, Greg (2011-05-16). Question #13323. Ask Greg. Retrieved 2011-11-01.
- ↑ Weisman, Greg, Kevin Hopps (w). Jones, Christopher (a). Atkinson, Zac (col). Sienty, Dezi (let). Chadwick, Jim (ed). "...Here There be Monsters" Young Justice 15 (April 18, 2012), New York, NY: DC Comics
- ↑ Hopps, Kevin (writer) & Oliva, Jay (director) (March 4, 2011). "Downtime". Young Justice. Season 1. Episode 8. Cartoon Network.